On verge of qualifying for Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, Brazilian powerlifter Joseano Felipe passes away
IPC President pays tribute to 42-year-old who set continental record just five days ago
IPC President pays tribute to 42-year-old who set continental record just five days ago
Joseano Felipe salutes the Brazilian flag after winning gold at the Rio 2016 test event on Saturday (Comitê Rio 2016/Alex Ferro)
International Paralympic Committee (IPC) President Sir Philip Craven has paid tribute to Brazilian powerlifter Joseano Felipe, who died on Thursday (28 January), aged 42. According to the Brazilian Paralympic Committee (CPB), Joseano Felipe suffered a cardiac arrest.
The tragic news came just days after he set a new continental record at the Rio 2016 test event, putting him on the verge of qualifying for his first Paralympic Games. In an interview with rio2016.com, he said: “I cannot let this chance to compete at the Paralympic Games escape. I have to keep improving, even at my age.”
Joseano Felipe had been training with his son, Phelippe Michel, for the last year. He said the pair has become much closer as a result. “It makes me so happy,” he said.
Sir Philip said: “I would like to pass on my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Joseano Felipe following his tragic passing. Joseano was a well-liked and popular man on the IPC Powerlifting circuit. He will be sadly missed by all within the Paralympic Movement.”
