Rio 2016 Apps

Enhance your Games experience.

Download
Who are you cheering on?

Who are you cheering on?

Choose your favorite athletes, teams, sports and countries by clicking on the buttons next to their names

Note: Your favourites settings are stored on your computer through Cookies If you want to keep them, refrain from clearing your browser history

Please set your preferences

Please check your preferences. You can change them at any time

Expand Content

This time zone applies to all schedule times

Expand Content
Contrast
Original colours Original colours High contrast High contrast
View all acessibility resources
A new world

Security forces stage large-scale exercises to prepare for Rio 2016 Games

By Rio 2016

Army and special operations police force take part in simulations at Deodoro and Maracanã

Security forces stage large-scale exercises to prepare for Rio 2016 Games

Officials coordinate the security operations from the Regional Integrated Command and Control Centre (Photo: Sesge)

Security forces carried out large-scale training exercises for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games over the weekend as the host city gears up to host the world next month.

A simulation of how to deal with a terrorist threat was undertaken in Deodoro, where the second largest venue cluster is based, on Friday and Saturday. Sunday saw a full rehearsal of the security plan for the opening ceremony, which will take place at the Maracanã Stadium on 5 August.

Rio readies giant security force of 85,000 to ensure safe and peaceful Games

About 1,000 security personnel from more than 20 different institutions, including Rio’s special operations police (BOPE), the army and the fire brigade, took part in the operations on Friday and Saturday, which included a simulated response to a bomb threat at Deodoro station. As well as negotiations that ended with police storming the carriage where ‘terrorists’ were holding ‘hostages’, the simulation also saw a robot defuse a ‘bomb’ retrieved from a backpack.

Security personnel from 55 countries have been helping Brazilian forces prepare and Cristiano Sampaio, regional security coordinator, said: “We’re exchanging experiences with various countries, all of which will be reflected here in Rio de Janeiro. This exercise had been previously planned, though with the recent happenings in Nice we are ever more alert.”

Brazilian government provides extra US$26m for Rio 2016 security operation

A member of the security forces sweeps Deodoro station for explosives (Photo: Paulo Vitor)

On Sunday, the focus switched to the Maracanã. Beginning at 5am, about 2,000 security personnel located at various points across the city simulated the transportation of athletes and Games workers to the venue for the opening ceremony.

Felipe Seixas, director of special projects and coordinator of the simulation, said: “There were no unexpected problems, from the arrival at the Palácio of Itamaraty (Foreign Office building), to Maracanã and the return leg. We are confident that now we’re ready for the opening ceremony and to transport athletes and authorities.”

Brazil’s top security force takes charge at Rio 2016 Games venues

Sampaio stressed that all security operations during Rio 2016 will be coordinated through the Regional Integrated Command and Control Centre (CICCR), which was in charge of traffic and security operations in the city during both the World Cup and Confederations Cup. He said: “All forces will be working 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We’re not preparing for a war, we‘re preparing for a party, obviously while taking into consideration all possible risks.”

2,000 troops take up positions in Deodoro for Rio 2016 Games